As XML is becoming a standard way for representing and exchanging
information, the need to convert this information to a user friendly PDF
file also increases. XSL-FO is a standard for converting XML to PDF
and other output formats. Apache
FOP is an open source product that can execute XSL-FO file.
J4L FO Designer is a WYSIWYG like editor (what you see is what
you get) to create XSL-FO files to be used with Apache FOP. These
files are used to convert XML documents to PDF files (and other formats).
The benefits of FO Designer are:
- No need to learn XSL-FO.
- Easy to use and learn.
- Increased productivity througth integrated design and test
- We have extended XSL-FO to support interactive PDF forms (Designer 1.5
- Versioning system and team work enviroment
Possible use cases are
Some features are:
- PDF interactive forms.
- Define colors, fonts, lines and frames.
- Conversion of codes to descriptions.
- Dynamically or statically add images.
- Add 1D and 2D Barcodes (EAN, Code128, Code39, Datamatrix,
PDF417, Aztec, QRCode , Maxicode and others).
- "Group by" feature
- Support for TTF fonts
and national character sets
- Support for Arabic texts
- User defined
- Support for several page masters (for example, cover page)
- add digital signature
to PDF files
- background images
- running subtotals
A good starting point is the learn
doing tutorial in our user guide.