As XML is becoming a standard way for representing and exchanging
information, the need to convert this information to a user friendly PDF file
also increases. XSL-FO is a standard for converting XML to PDF and other
output formats. Apache FOP is an
open source product that can execute XSL-FO file.
J4L FO Designer is a WYSIWYG like editor (what you see is what you
get) to create XSL-FO files to be used with Apache FOP. These files are used to convert XML documents to PDF files (and other
formats). The benefits of FO Designer are:
- No need to learn XSL-FO.
- Easy to use and learn.
- Increased productivity througth integrated design and test environment.
- We have extended XSL-FO to support interactive PDF forms (Designer 1.5 or
- Versioning system and team work enviroment
Possible use cases are
Some features are:
- PDF interactive forms.
- Define colors, fonts, lines and frames.
- Conversion of codes to descriptions.
- Dynamically or statically add images.
- Add 1D and 2D Barcodes (EAN, Code128, Code39, Datamatrix, PDF417, Aztec, QRCode
, Maxicode and others).
- "Group by" feature
- Support for TTF fonts and national character sets
- Support for Arabic texts
- User defined functions
- Support for several page masters (for example, cover page)
- add digital signature to PDF files
- background images
- running subtotals
A good starting point is the learn
by doing tutorial in our user guide.